This glossary of terms related to the Convention on Biological Diversity
has been compiled from numerous sources:
- Article 2 "Use of terms" of the Convention on Biological
- Global Biodiversity Assessment. UNEP, 1995, Annex 6, Glossary. ISBN 0
521 56481 6 [GBA],
- Global Biodiversity Strategy. WRI, IUCN, UNEP, 1992, Glossary. ISBN 0
915825 74 0 [WRI et al.],
- The Commercial Use of Biodiversity - Access to Genetic Resources and
Benefit-Sharing. K. ten Kate & S.A. Laird, 1999, European Commission,
398 pp. ISBN 1 85383 334 1 [CUB]
- document UNEP/CBD/BSWG/2/5 dated 7 March 1997 [BSWG/2/5],
- Panel of Experts assisting FAO to detail the Global Strategy [FAO],
- Glossary of Phytosanitary terms (English, French, Spanish, Chinese,
Arabic). International Standards for Phytosanitary measures. ISPM, FAO,
1999, Pub. No. 5 [FAObis],
- dictionaries, encyclopedia and common use,
- definitions arranged by J.L.Van Goethem, Dr. sc. [JVG].
With thanks to Mr H. Zedan, formerly Chief Biodiversity Unit, UNEP,
Nairobi, for allowing to insert a selection of terms and definitions related
to the CBD, outlined in the UNEP report "Global Biodiversity
Assessment", published 1995; to Mrs Valérie Schwartz, Publications
Department WRI, for allowing to insert a selection of terms and definitions
related to the CBD, outlined in the "Global Biodiversity Strategy",
published by WRI, IUCN, UNEP, 1992; and to Mr M. Jorgensen, European
Commission, D.G.XI. A.4 - Development and environment, for allowing to insert
a selection of terms and definitions related to the CBD, outlined in the
"The Commercial Use of Biodiversity", published by the European
Communities and Earthscan Publications Ltd, 1999.
of climate change abbreviations, acronyms and jargon.
Last updated 29-11-2004
© Belgian Clearing-House Mechanism, 2001.
On the Internet since 7 October 1996.