- ultraviolet radiation
- radiation beyond the violet (high energy) end of the visible light spectrum. UV-B is the middle range wave-length of the three UV bands, and is largely absorbed in the Earth's atmospheric ozone layer; prolonged exposure to UV-B can be biologically damaging.
- umbrella species
- species whose occupancy area (plants) or home range (animals) are large
enough and whose habitat requirements are wide enough that, if they are
given a sufficiently large area for their protection, will bring other
species under that protection. [GBA]
- material lacking the characteristics or agronomic performance for cropping in a specific area. [CUB]
- unidirectional externality
- these are externalities in which the external costs or benefits of the
resource use are "one way". [GBA]
- unintended release
- any release of GMOs which is not a deliberate release [BSWG/2/5: UNEP
Expert Panel IV Report]
- a process by which water rises from lower depths into the shallows, usually the result of divergence or offshore currents.
- use value
- values obtained through the use of a resource. This includes direct and
indirect use values and instrumental values. Preservation in this sense is
as much a use as development. [GBA]
- utility function
- a description of the way in which the well-being of individuals depends
on different combinations of goods and services consumed. [GBA]
- utilization of farm animal genetic resources
- the use and development of animal genetic resources for the production
of food and agriculture.
- The use in production systems of AnGRs that already possess high levels
of adaptive fitness to the environments concerned, and the deployment of
sound genetic principles, will facilitate sustainable development of the
AnGRs and the sustainable intensification of the production systems
themselves. The wise use of AnGRs is possible without depleting domestic
animal diversity. Development of AnGRs includes a broad mix of ongoing
activities that must be well planned and executed for success, and
compounded over time, hence with high value. It requires careful
definition of breeding objectives, and the planning, establishment and
maintenance of effective and efficient animal recording and breeding
Back to GLOSSARY title page
(Convention on Biological Diversity)
© Belgian Clearing-House Mechanism, 2001.
On the Internet since 7 October 1996.